Navigation Menu



City InfoResident InfoDepartmentsEmploymentNews & EventsForms CenterUseful LinksSite Map


Link to Arkansas Parks & Tourism

 Carlisle Police Department logo


Drivers Licenses
• Teen drivers
• Age waivers (hardship permits)

Motorcycles, Mopeds and Scooters
• Scooters and Mopeds

Vehicle Registration
• New residents
Time limit to register vehicle

What are the rules regarding teenaged drivers, and how do I obtain a hardship permit for my child?

Persons driving on learner’s licenses, generally those drivers 14 to 16 years of age, must be accompanied by a licensed adult 21 years of age or older.  In addition, all passengers in the vehicle must be wearing seat belts.  16 to 18 year olds, driving on intermediate licenses, do not have to be accompanied by a licensed adult; however, all passengers in the vehicle must be wearing seat belts. 

Age waivers or so-called “hardship permits” may be issued by the Office of Driver Services to drivers with learner’s licenses.  In order to obtain an age waiver, the parents or legal guardians of a 14 to 16 year old driver must demonstrate dire need or a legitimate hardship.  An age waiver should not be applied for if the only reason is one of convenience to the parent or guardian.  The state imposes very specific requirements regarding when the child can drive without a licensed adult.  Generally, drivers with age waivers may only drive to and from school and school-related activities, their places of employment, and doctors’ offices or medical clinics, if their application contained a letter from a physician citing a documented health problem.   Drivers operating on age waivers must have the waiver in their possession at all times while operating a vehicle.  In addition, they cannot transport anyone other than members of their immediate families.  If a police officer charges a driver with a traffic violation or finds him/her at fault after an accident, the officer is to immediately seize the age waiver and return it to Driver Control.  It is then up to the parent or legal guardian to try to get it reinstated which, in the case of a traffic violation, may only be done after the case is adjudicated in court.

Persons desiring additional information regarding driver’s licenses should contact their local Revenue Office or the Arkansas State Police.  Information regarding age waivers may be obtained by calling the Office of Driver Services at (501)682-7211 or by visiting their website at 

How old does a child have to be to legally ride a scooter?  Does he need a license?

Scooters and mopeds are classified as motor-driven cycles or motorized bicycles, depending upon their engine displacement.  Motor-driven cycles have a displacement of 250 cc or less, and are subject to the same laws regarding licensing and registration as a motorcycle.  The operator of a motor-driven cycle must be at least 14 years of age, and must be in possession of a Class MD driver’s license.  Motorized bicycles have a displacement of 50 cc or less.  The operator of a motorized bicycle must be at least 10 years of age, and must be in possession of a Motorized Bicycles Certificate. 

In addition to being in possession of a driver’s license or certificate, the operator of motor-driven cycle or motorized bicycle must obey the following regulations:  

1.   The operator and any passenger must wear eye protection in the form of protective glasses, goggles, or a transparent face shield.  In addition, a helmet must be worn if the operator or passenger is under 21 years of age.

2.   The headlight and taillight must be on at all times, day or night, when the motorcycle is in operation.

3.   The operator will not carry a passenger unless there are footrests and handholds for the passenger.  There can only be one passenger.  No driver under 16 is allowed to carry a passenger.

4.   Operators must obey all traffic laws at all times.

 Any person wishing to obtain either a Class MD license or a Motorized Bicycles Certificate should contact the Arkansas State Police.  Driver license testing for individuals living in Lonoke County is conducted at Arkansas State Police Headquarters, #1 State Police Plaza Dr., in Little Rock.  The telephone number is (501) 618-8282.  While the written part of the examination must be taken at the state police testing facility, the motor-driven skills tests may be waived if the applicant presents proof of successful completion of a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Riders Course within 90 days prior to application for the license or certificate.

I just moved to Arkansas.  How long do I have to transfer my vehicle registration?

ACA 27-14-723 states that a person must obtain Arkansas registration within 30 calendar days of becoming a resident.  In addition, nonresidents who have been physically present in the state for six months must obtain Arkansas motor vehicle registration.

I just bought a new car.  How long do I have to get it registered?

30 days.



(Copyright © 2004-2023 City of Carlisle, Arkansas)
Privacy Policy
Comments or suggestions about our website?
E-mail the webmaster.